Friday, March 5, 2010

I have mixed feelings about this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VS2mfWDryPE

This is a link to the controversy of an anorexic French Model who agreed to volunteer to pose for an ad campaign in Italy raising awareness about Anorexia.

I was not going to post a picture, it's too disturbing. But on the one hand, I see both sides to this argument. I am not sure that this ad campaign sends a very good message to people with Anorexia. I see the interviewer's point about it having a negative influence on women, as I also see the point that Isabelle was too sick to consent to do this. The weird freckle thing has me a bit puzzled. Although, I know better than anyone, people with eating disorders have a lot of physical hangups in addition to their own hangups with food.

If on the other hand, she is truly serious about getting well, then perhaps this could be a positive thing. Although she has made progress, her weight is still too low in my opinion to be thinking rationally to do this on their own as an outpatient. Sadly, at her age, no one can force her to go into inpatient treatment. I hope she does recover and it's not too late for her. So many promising souls are slaves to this God awful and often misunderstood disease that it costs them their life. I am praying it doesn't turn out this way for Isabelle Carro.

No comments: