Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Accident My Ass


Nothing has gotten under my skin more these past two days other than my broken TV and reading about this story of the tragic murder of Yardley Love.

http://www.aolnews.com/nation/article/death-of-virginia-student-yeardley-love-an-accident-say-lawyers-for-suspect-george-huguely/19463887?icid=main|aim|dl1|link3|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.aolnews.com%2Fnation%2Farticle%2Fdeath-of-virginia-student-yeardley-love-an-accident-say-lawyers-for-suspect-george-huguely%2F19463887

I think it's disgusting that his entourage of defense attorneys' are coming out and claiming it was an accident after he admitted to police that he practically beat the woman to death. If you read the link, he apparently has a history of abusing alcohol. I don't care what anybody says. Alcohol abuse is never an excuse for murder or violence.

What further irritates me are the reports I have heard from a former UVA graduate and friend/Victim's right's advocate with a horrible sexual assault case of her own while she was there, is how the University is encouraging students who may have known about this perp's history of violent outbursts to remain silent and not talk to the media. In my friend's case, they did the exact same thing to her. Shut Up. We want to make this go away. Since when does silence solve the problem of rape, domestic violence or murder? I am tired of all these "prestigious" universities trying to sweep campus crime under the rug. It only magnifies the problem. The friends of Ms. Love have a moral obligation to cooperate with the authorities on what they knew of her relationship with this psycho bastard, and the university has no legal authority to try and stop them.