Monday, November 16, 2009

Boy did I predict the future on this one...

I knew it. I just knew it was only a matter of time before the God Squad would preach out and about... Alcohol abuse.

This article I came across utterly disgusted me.

http://www.contracostatimes.com/opinion/ci_13781779

Look- I am not condoning tanking it up... but umm, I'd love to see a show of hands of how many of the 80 million friends I have who NEVER EVER drank in high school or college under-age- have never ever drank a few too many even OF AGE. Well, I am here to say that while not proud of it, I have fallen into that category, as have many many of my friends- both male and female. None of them ever raped me. The Richmond High School Victim thought the attacker who lured her into this horrific situation was her friend. Some Friend, says me. As one of my survivor friend's once said about her own attackers: "Alcohol doesn't rape people. People rape people."

I understand that alcohol can lower one's inhibitions, but it is not an excuse to rape someone and a victim who has had too much to drink doesn't deserve to be the culprit of such barbaric behavior.

Furthermore, I hear more often than not stories from survivors about being held responsible for their rapes in situations where there was no alcohol involved. Wearing a too short skirt, being out late at night, as we saw with the Central Park Jogger. I don't care what the case is- nobody deserves to be violated this way. EVER. Rape is rape.

3 comments:

MARIO said...

the god squad's attitude is so mideaval, even neanderthal, when it comes to blaming rape victims!

no one ever blames the victim of a burglary of a mansion for tempting the burglar by living in a mansion, nor blames the victim of a car theft or carjacking of a BMW or Rolls Royce for tempting the car thief or carjacker by driving a BMW or Rolls Royce!

yet some people continue to blame rape victims for supposedly dressing or acting "provocatively" and "provoking" or "tempting" the rapist! unbelievable!

and alcohol is not a magical elixir that turns someone into a rapist! the rapist was ALREADY predisposed to rape!

MARIO

Michele Christine said...

Eactly- I've really known of a case where a rapist hasn't been accused of it more than once. Mine was.

Michele Christine said...

rarely, I meant. Too early to care about spell check!