Sunday, December 6, 2009

Why does this bother me?


http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/6746377/Daughter-of-Billy-Joel-and-Christie-Brinkley-overdoses.html

Well, because it does. I, not being famous, not having rich parents, have been detained in the Cornell psych ward after panic attacks on the street, all which if the paramedics had just let me be and come to, would have relieved by themselves. None of these incidents involved overdosing, yet they still kept me there, against my will as a 35 year old adult. If I had parent's as famous and rich as Alexa's, I would have been out of there in a NY minute.

Since I don't, they held me there and made me feel like I was an eternal freak. This girl needs help- her parents, too caught up in their own drama to help her. It is my opinion based on personal experience that she would never have been discharged without her notaritey.

2 comments:

MARIO said...

you brot up a point that i hadn't even thot of!

MARIO

Michele Christine said...

It's true- when I attmepted suicde at 14- they didn't send me home from the ER in a Long Island Mansion. They sent me to a psych ward. Granted, at that age, my parents had the say and I did not, but still.

Even though she's over 21, in cases where one attempts to take their own life, it is not unusal for psychiatrists to hold a patient involuntarily after something like that. They held me involuntarily after a panic attack in June when someone called 911 because I felt like I couldn't breathe or move. I'm 35 and didn't even OD. It was awful. They wouldn't release me until they talked to my shrink. In my case, they over-reacted. But in this case- in my opinion, after a take on her life, she could benefit from some in patient structured treatment.