Saturday, February 7, 2009

The Jessica's



With everything going on in the state of the world, seeing this story making the Yahoo News really made me very sad.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/sfgate/detail?blogid=7&entry_id=35486

Awhile back, I wrote about Jessica Alba and her air brushed Campari ads that she posed for after giving birth to her daughter. If you compare the before and after, she looks much healthier in the first one. The 2nd one is altered and shows where they have shaved down her figure to make her look thinner. Having worked for a fashion magazine for many years, I know this is common practice in the art and graphics department, but I think it’s wrong and sends a dangerous message to women everywhere.

Jessica Alba has gone on the record and admitted that she has suffered from Anorexia in the past, and I feel for her because I know how hard it is. I can only imagine how difficult it is to lose baby weight when you have had a history of an eating disorder and very much in the public eye. But, the fact that she admits that she wore a girdle to lose the weight, had tear jerking work outs at the gym, and is comparing herself to one of her other friends about how thin she looked after having a baby really disappoints and saddens me.

I guess for one thing, it tells me she is still very wrapped up in her eating disorder and emphasis on appearance and full disclosure- reminds me of myself. For another thing, she is a role model to young women and going out and publicly saying she wore a girdle and exercised herself to tears to get skinny again- well… I think that while I have no doubt she did these things, is bad judgment on her part and she should discuss these things with a therapist instead of reporters. Young impressionable girls and women like me with eating disorders don’t need to know or see this information blasted over the internet.

I also think it’s disgusting for the media to go criticizing Jessica Simpson for gaining weight. She obviously doesn’t seem to care, and seems quite happy. I watch all these shows on Access Hollywood where they go blasting the skinny celeb squad about how unhealthy Keira Knightley, Anne Hathaway and Victoria Beckham look. I agree with them 100%. But then they turn around and be the ultimate hypocrites and attack Jessica Simpson by calling her fat. Go figure. Both Jessica’s are talented and beautiful in my opinion. I hope that they can find peace with themselves, live their lives, and distance themselves as best they can from the paparazzi circus.

No comments: