Friday, February 6, 2009

So, if you are rich, you can't be victimized?

After the news broke that Madoff cheated a bunch of high profile Celebs- I wasn’t surprised.

There are things about this situation I get legally, but very morally and ethically disagree with on a variety of counts.

I get- he’s monitored closely by law enforcement and not a likely flight risk. I get that he didn’t murder or rape anyone and does not pose a threat of violence to the Manhattan Community. But does that make what he did right and justify being allowed to stay in his penthouse? The Gospel according to me says- NO FUCKING WAY

I pass by his building everyday to and from my office and see the media hoopla outside of his building. I frankly don’t understand why the man always has a smug, sly, smile on his face and has no comment to anyone other than his lawyer and law enforcement. The media is wasting their time and will not get an answer out of him. What can he say? Greed overcame me? Ya don’t say! DUH????

Lastly, I work very hard for an investment banking firm as an Executive Assistant. I assist a team of extraordinarily bright and educated staff who are busting their ass to fix this economic mess.

So many people I know in the arts community say well, he was wrong, and it sucks, but they are rich, and I am a starving artist who lives in Brooklyn or Queens. They fail to grasp the principle of regardless of how much money you make, taking advantage of hard working people period is down right disgusting.

These comments make me mad. So people who work hard to earn what they do deserve to be taken advantage of? THEY DO NOT- and that is coming from a very poor person who lives in a very antiquated building on the UES. Many wealthy people give their time and $ to fabulous charitable causes.

The jealousy mind set over how- well, at least they still have a lot of cash and I don't, doesn't sit well with MC. If I were a member of the Upper Crust and he fucked me over, I'd be rip roaring pissed too.

2 comments:

notranting said...

There's an all-pervasive idea in this country that the "haves" are somehow less deserving of justice than the "have nots". I see it all the time. There's always a lot of talk out there that if you are okay financially or white or attractive or happy that whatever comes your way is just fine. So wrong.

The flip side to this argument is that stories in the media always seem to get more play when victims are indeed attractive or wealthy, etc.

That said, all of these people (well, most) worked hard for their money. Even if they inherited it, it doesn't matter. It was not his to take. It's a crime. End of story!

PS - is his place the one around the corner from William Whats-its-name? Across from Fleur de Sel? I used to live around there.

Michele Christine said...

I totally agree with you! His place is 133 East 64th street- a doorman building right off the corner of Lexington Avenue going towards park. It has a green awning and is caddy corner to Le Pain quotiden coffee shop. If you google 133 east 64th and click images, you are bound to recognize it.