Thursday, April 23, 2009

This is America...


My Darling Father has a quote- “This is America, you are entitled to your opinion.”

Such was the quote he issued to many Anorexia expert therapists who have treated me over the years to sibling rivalry fights, as well as when me and my brothers got older and we all had our own views of the mess of the world we live in and how it should it work. I guess a lot of it was to keep the peace.

But this brings me to my feelings on the recent Ms.USA pageant, where Ms. California lost to Ms. North Carolina. I didn’t see the pageant, as I do not feel that viewing these events are good for me for obvious reasons- beauty, bikinis, and who is the skinniest, most perfect and most talented. I’ve tortured my life and my health with such ideals. I’ve starred in the movie. I do not need to watch a mirror of myself on TV

I do firmly believe however, that Ms. California’s opinion on Gay Marriage when asked her views on it has been unfairly ostracized by not only the judges of the pageant themselves, but the media as well. I can‘t say whether her answer cost her the crown, as I did not see it. I really don’t care.

But I did see some news clips about it, and my feelings are the following:

This is a USA pageant. Last time I checked, America is a free country that supports freedom of speech and standing up for what you believe in, regardless of whether or not public opinion agrees with it. Criticizing someone for exercising this right defies what we as a country stand for. I love how Obama said the same thing she did about not being for it and is treated like a rock star, but she gets death threats. NICE!

Personally, I am for Gay Marriage- as I have many gay friends. Go ahead my Catholic church group friends and vilify me for feeling this way. I don’t vilify you if you agree with Ms. California. My point is, she owned the right to express her opinion. Kuddos to Angie Harmon for defending her.

No comments: