Monday, April 13, 2009

Shrinks are human too


I am very obsessed- I admit, with HBO's mini series "In treatment". It is a fabulous show chronicling the life of a middle aged therapist played by Gabriel Byrne, his relationship with his patients, his own failed marriage, and how it all affects him- prompting him to go back "In Treatment" with his former mentor, a therapist played by the fabulous actress, Diane Wiest, who also happens to be a parishioner of my church.

After reading about horrific criminal stories in the news this week, ones just too gut wrenching to mention... I got to thinking... what has happened to the people we employ to heal us to make them pursue this profession? Do they or have they battled with the same demons in some fashion as us that motivate them to sit and listen to us?

I would never dare ask, as it over-steps the boundaries of professionalism, but I couldn't help but wonder... what have they been through in their lives that makes them want to listen to fucked up people like me? (Just Kidding)

But seriously- I wonder. I think that between tonight's episodes of "In Treatment" and in my bedroom this mornng with The Today Show on in the background while getting dressed for work, it really sparked my curiosity. There I am rolling up my black tights and fastening my skirt, and I hear this really familiar voice on TV commenting on the economy and it's affect on relationships- the affect in particular, on divorced couples with children. I rush to the bedroom and stare at the TV. HOLY SHIT- it was my new shrink.

No comments: