Sunday, November 23, 2008

Holidays- Are they Merry for all?


Living in Manhattan, Christmas and Thanksgiving can be very commercialized, even in tough financial times with the state of the economy.

I am noticing more and more the lines in the markets with customers whipping out their circulars and their coupons- this is on sale ….

I try to maintain my patience when I don’t really give a shit if a bottle of diet coke is $1.59 verses $1.89 and the little old lady in front of me is fighting with the cashier about how she was charged .89 cents for a can of chicken noodle when it was advertised for .69 cents.

But, on line at Walgreen’s this morning, among the array of Christmas Candy and various holiday advertising displays, not really caring whether my diet coke was 1.59 verses 1.89, I got to thinking…

Holidays are HELL for people who have eating disorders. There is food everywhere- especially at my job. Every year, we get sent baskets of meat & cheese, canisters of popcorn, all kinds of Godiva chocolates and various other sweets. I want to hurl it all in the trash because the mental torture can be overwhelming. You can have a piece of cheese… it won’t kill you. You can have a slice of pepperoni!

I hate to sound like a skinny bitch, because I am equally empathetic to people who struggle at the other end of the scale. But my struggle has always been not eating enough and petrified of food. Does anyone else feel like this?

No comments: