Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Why are survivors of crime drawn to watching and reading material on trauma?


As I am waiting for my favorite tv show to come on, (Law & Order SVU of course!) It dawned on me, why is it so common for survivors of trauma to be so interested in following programs and cases in the news that often mirror their experience?

I am not sure I have the answer, except that their is a thread of familiarity in identifying with one's suffering- be it fact or fiction. I am torn as to whether or not this is cathartic for people like me, or if it just stirs up my PTSD symptoms. I think it's a toss up. On the one hand, you feel- or at least I do, that you are serving a purpose by being passionate about causes you care about. On the the flip side, that passion can provoke memories most unpleasant.

I am divided on the issue, but Mariska Hargitay is for sure, my hero!

No comments: