Monday, January 5, 2009

Yet Another Diet Book



Since I am a member of the Barnes and Nobles rewards club, I get these offers for new books in my emails all the time. This one in particular pissed me off.

The statement by the author that he can make you thin, is in my view pretty ballsy. I don't think anyone can make anyone do anything they don't want to do. I also think all these books geared toward being "thin" and books like "skinny bitch" only further promote our society's obsession with beauty and thinness and play a huge role in making people at risk and more susceptible to eating disorders.

I wouldn't wish an eating disorder upon my worst enemy. It's a horrible, twisted, and very difficult disease to recover from and to cope with. A nine year old girl that I have known for years and was babysitting for yesterday kept staring at me. I said to her, why are you looking at me so strangely? She was hesitant and then said... well... it's just that you are so skinny. I wish I could be as skinny as you. I was mortified. Of course, I can't explain to a 9 year old child that I have anorexia and chalked everything up to being limited to what I can eat with my teethe, which is partially very true, but I thought to myself... You are 9 years old. If I had to live my life over again and I knew I would have developed this illness, I'd run from it from the hills. Unfortunately, once you have it, it doesn't work that way, just like it doesn't work that way with people who struggle on the opposite end of the scale that I do. I feel for them and know how hard it is, as only people who have these disorders know and understand.

This child is very talented in art and drew me a picture as a Christmas Gift, and she drew me narrower than a pencil. I was horrified that a 9 year old girl can see what I can't see and wishing she could look like me. It's time for diet books to go away and Michele Christine to get her rear in gear and gain some weight.

No comments: