Sunday, January 25, 2009

When is free speech appropriate?


Part of the reason why I started this blog was to vent my feelings on the insanity of the world- especially in this God forsaken city. But my two main reasons for starting it were to raise awareness about how our criminal justice system needs a major over-haul and the dangers of eating disorders.

Referring to the latter, while I am all for free speech, I am appalled at some of the websites I have read about in recent news promoting eating disorders- AKA- Pro-ANA & Mia.

For those of you who don't know, Ana is code for Anorexia. Mia is code for bulimia. Hundreds and thousands of websites have been started by people who suffer from these deadly disorders offering tips on how to stay sick. As much as I struggle with my Anorexia, I would never ever endorse such a thing. I wonder sometimes for teenagers who have eating disorders- do their parents know what they are doing on line?

My eating disorder started long before the on line information age so this movement is a little foriegn to me. But parents need to be aware of what their eating disorderd child might be doing. These pro eating disorder sites have sparked national attention and resulted in legal action across many states and countries to shut them down. Is free speech really ok when it could cost someone their life?

2 comments:

notranting said...

There's another website making the rounds of the fashionable set - The Skinny Website. It's also a bad precedent setter in that it takes photos of celebs, decides if they've gained or lost weight, etc. It has huge readership and is very pro-Ana, IMHO.

And enough about Jessica Simpson. I feel badly for her. I do.

Michele Christine said...

These sites are horrible! I think I am going to contact the former Ms. America, as this is one of her platforms and lobby w/ her to shut them down. People afflicted with anorexia and bulimia do not need to be exposed to this. And Jessica Simpson is gourgeous- I think like u said yesterday about Michael Phelps, while his behavior is disappointing, the media does like tear the famous up and bring them down. I have a learning diability and looked up to him after all he over-came and was diappointed, but he didn't rape or kill anyone and there's nothing to suggest he didn't win those races fair and square from what I've read, so I forgive him.