Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Mariska RULES!


I will never forget the day I met Mariska Hargitay. It was one of those moments where you just knew she understood you, especially when autographing my bubble bath bottle and asked me, 1 L or 2? I had the unique opportunity to meet with the members of her staff who dedicate their time to assisting victims of sexual assualt.

After watchng SVU tonight, while dsturbing, a line her character said struck a chord with me. She was counseling a rape victim and shared her own experience with sexual assault while working under-cover in a prison. When the victim asked what helped her get through it, what made it go away, her response was admitting it happened.

Such realizations are albiet, hard, but vital to healing. I have heard Mariska say more than once that in her role as Detective Olivia Benson, she has learned more about how sexual assault affects one than she ever wanted to. If you ask me, I think that is a good thing. She is an amazing role model to women everywhere- and also, not like the skinny bitches I could hurl my Bible at.

No comments: