Friday, December 26, 2008

Some Priests need to keep their God Damn Mouths shut


And no, I don't give a shit how I have just taken my Lord's name in vain on my website and am swearing like a sailor.

On Christmas Eve, I attended evening Mass at my local Parish with my family. I always look forward to this Mass because Jose Feliciano- for those of you who don't know, was the original composer and singer for "Light My Fire". He happens to live in my home town, is a member of my parish, and performs live for us every year. It is a really rare treat, and one I look forward to every Christmas.

The Pastor of the Parish who said the mass has had some major beef with my family, in that he refused to perform a dual wedding ceremony where both the Catholic rite and the Zoroastrian rite- religion of my Indian sister law, could be performed, despite a dispensation from the Arch Diocese of NY saying it was just dandy with them.

Anyways, in his sermon, he went on to express his opinion about (as I have heard him say in the past when I am home for Holidays) his skepticism on the benefits of psychotherapy and use of psychiatric drugs to treat people with serious mental conditions. His suggestion was that if we all just believe in Christ, if we all just pray to Christ, then while everything may not be A-OK 100%, we would be turning towards our savior and if only we did that, how many shrinks would be out of business?

UMMM.... HELLO? I think this Priest is working in the wrong denomination and should consider employment with Tom Cruise in the Church of Scientology. Many, many, mental illnesses such as eating disorders, substance abuse, depression, etc, have been medically proven to be biologically based. I am not talking about people who make excuses for their behavior and use it as an excuse as to why they committed crimes- I am talking about the ones who have not committed crimes and genuinely sought and wanted help, harmed no other individual, and succeeded in professional treatment. What right does a priest who has no degree in science or psychology have to comment on trained professionals or antidepressants that have helped to save the lives of millions in pain and despair?

I'm a chick who goes to church every week... I believe in Christ... but Christ doesn't make my panic attacks and my nightmares and my food phobia go away. And if we all just believed in Christ, turned to Christ, and that was the solution to the world's problems, then maybe he should go preach in prison to all the murderer's and rapists there. Let's see if his words make a difference in stopping them from offending again when they are released too early. I was so seething with anger at his stupid comments, I could barely enjoy Jose. What an ass.

No comments: